I’ve been mulling over this idea for a recipe composed of leftovers from Thanksgiving and got the perfect excuse (and crowd to beta test!) when the lovely Ellie M. invited me to her co-op’s Friendsgiving shindig last Monday 🙂
The recipe is quite easy! I followed this recipe for honey cornbread muffins from the Food Network for the “cupcake” part, then gathered the following leftovers from Thanksgiving with my family and friends this November:
- Mashed potatoes
- Turkey gravy
- Cranberry Sauce
I also bought:
- Berry cream cheese for the frosting (regular cream cheese should work too)
- Cupcake liners
- A cupcake pan (a little Google research revealed some neat, but not so pretty alternatives, so I figured I might as well)
- Follow Honey Cornbread Muffin recipe found here to make the cupcakes. I was surprised that the recipe called to put all of the batter into 12 cups and there was enough to make most overflow, so I’d recommend filling each cup almost to the brim so nothing oozes all over your pan or oven during baking.
- While the cupcakes are baking, grab a bowl and mix mashed potatoes, stuffing and gravy. I would start with a small batch as you will want to play around with adding more of each ingredient until you reach the proportion you like best 🙂
- Once the cupcakes are ready, use a thick knife to make a large hole in each one. I only made mine 2 inches in diameter and found that filling about half of the cupcakes would probably have been better, so don’t be afraid to make the holes pretty big.
- You might want to let them cool a little before you use a spoon to drop dollops of your mashed potato-gravy-stuffing mixture into the hole you poked into each cupcake.
- Lastly, mix your cream cheese with left over cranberry sauce, and frost your cupcakes (helper elves optional).
Lastly, Take a photo and chow down!
Feel free to share some of your favorite holiday recipes in the comments 🙂