Title kind of gets the point across pretty clearly, doesn’t it?
Here are some of the things you may be doing unwittingly that DON’T make you look like a good candidate:
- Inappropriate profile pictures. It’s the oldest one in the book, but still super widespread. Pictures of you flipping someone off as your Google+ / Gmail logo? Probably doesn’t make you look very professional…. just saying. (Oh, and same goes for pictures of you looking drugged in lingerie on Facebook.)
- Vulgar comments. Do you want the first impression your potential future employer has of you to be a public tweet claiming women “are ho’s and good for one thing only.” ? Pretty self-explanatory, right?
- Iffy Humor. I once found a LinkedIn profile with this position listed: Hot Anal Sex at Over the Counter from 1969-1969. Yes, it did make me crack up since it was so out of place, but it definitely made me reconsider reaching out to that candidate!
- Links on LinkedIn. LinkedIn is meant to be a professional platform, so I don’t recommend including links to personal websites or social media profiles that aren’t professional. ie, don’t include your Twitter profile where your personal URL leads to a website of you nude modeling (well, unless you’re only applying to modeling gigs!)
- Privacy. Yes, you are entitled to is, so use it. Recruiters and hiring managers don’t need to have access to your Facebook profile (which we do if your privacy settings are set to public, ie for anyone and everyone to see), so if you even suspect there may be something in there that doesn’t look professional, you might just want to set it to “friends only.” No, this does not make you look suspicious — people are entitled to privacy. It doesn’t necessarily mean you have somehing to hide.
I know all of this sounds pretty common sensical, but it’s actually quite common and you may be sending out some of those negative signals without meaning to. Couldn’t hurt to double check just to make sure, right?
*** Like this article? Check out my Job Search Toolbox for more great tips! ***